"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Worry wart?

  Let's add up all the stuff we have worried about in the past week!!  After all, sometimes we spend a whole lot of time worrying.  So, if it's a useful behavior, why not put it in our schedule and plan for it.  Ridiculous? In retrospect, we can all remember worrying about problems that never happen.  This week at our house we worried a bunch about a "broken" computer and a dog that is off her feed.  Yesterday we were able to take the computer worrying off the list because the solution was a new cord.  But this morning,  the dog worried about me when I went out into the frigid morning without her.  She went into her Lassie routine in front of my son as I happily traipsed down the road.  Who can forget all the times that Lassie saved someone from sure death by alerting someone with her, "Ruff, ruff, ruff," routine.  "Oh, Lassie, you must be telling me that Pa fell down the well!!  Hurry, get some rope so we can rescue him!!!  Thank goodness that ole girl alerted us in time!!"
  So,  how could Son not pick up on that?  He hastily called my friend before he planned to call the police to report my kidnapping. Now my friend has something to worry about today, too. Two minutes later, I arrive from my walk and the kidnapping worry is over.  Phew, just in time!! I am sure there is something else just around the bend that we'll be able to worry about. Thank goodness!!
  Worrying can be an attempt to be in control of things we have no control over.  There are alternatives.  Worry, another word for anxiety, can be a precursor to anger. So if your anger is getting the best of you, worrying may be something you need to work on.  Find out more by contacting me about Anger Management offered through Desert Streams in Kalamazoo.