"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What me worry?


  Over my shoulder through the window I saw a majestic bird of prey soaring on the updrafts yesterday as I was working at my desk.  Round and round he went, peacefully as if he didn't have a care in the world.  I had cares...lots of them.  But this bird was up there just lazily circling around and around.  Yet, he had no idea where his next meal would come from or where he would sleep that night.
  Do you recall the biblical reference about the birds of the air?  "I tell you,don't worry about everyday life--whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes.  Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing?  Look at the birds.  They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them.  And you are far more valuable to him than they are.  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?  Of course not."  Matthew 6:25-27
   I spent a considerable amount of time worrying yesterday.  Finally I remembered this scripture.  I prayed for God to take care of my concern, whatever his will was for the situation was fine with me. Later in the day, the great burden I worried about was lifted, as most of them are.  I am glad I remembered to let go of my burden.  I don't want to waste my days worrying about things I have no control over.  Lord, help me to remember that worrying solves nothing.  It's just a waste of time and an excuse for not using my time in a more productive way.