"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Monday, June 2, 2014

Take a deep breath.

  It was really quite simple.  I just wanted to cancel my internet because I had installed a new service with Charter.  So, I got online with ATT.  Can't cancel internet over the internet.  I have to talk to someone in person at ATT.  Oh boy!!!  I can just imagine the sales pitch coming.
  On hold and listening to the elevator music, I recognized some hostile thoughts creeping in.  I began to think about the high pressure pitch I was going to be experiencing.  I began to imagine the number of times I was going to ask to have my service discontinued.  I could feel tension in my shoulders and my breathing began to dysregulate.
  But, this time, I pulled out my imaginary anger management tool box. Enlisting
my breathing technique, I inhaled and exhaled slowly 3 times.  I calmed down.  When my turn came to speak to that real human, I was ready.  Yes, there was a pitch.  But, because I was calm and ready for it, I was so nice!  Not like previous experiences where I got snippy and gave the ATT person on the other side a run for their money.,,,probably ruining their day and getting my blood pressure up.
  This anger management stuff really works....yeah it does!!!